Sunday, October 21, 2012

Deleting the naughty…with 5k's

I've achieved something I didn't think would happen.  I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Mind you, it was a slow process and took almost 3 1/2 years.  By eating normal portions and moving around chasing these kids, it happened.

I want to maintain this so I decided for my own benefit to start doing 5k's.  I am by no means a runner, nor do I have the desire to run.  I need my knees. But I am a great walker, and a wannabe part-time jogger.

I decided my first 5k needed to be something simple, close to home and low pressure. I found it with my college alma mater and their homecoming 5k.  Yup, that'll work. I talked my sister-in-law into doing it with me and we signed up.

The day arrived and it was chilly but absolutely gorgeous outside. The sun was shining and the leaves were turning. There were about 100 people and at first we were the oldest people and alumni there. But people trickled in and the atmosphere picked up. It was homecoming after all.

We all lined up and we got the go. I was doing it. My first 5k.  We power walked in between mini spurts of jogging and talking while walking. While they could have chosen a more scenic route around the campus, it was nice to revisit the old stomping grounds and see the changes made since I graduated in the mid 90's. I did not trip, I did not fall.

 We finished in 53 minutes, which I considered a success. 3.1 miles in under an hour is great considering I don't walk that distance regularly. I got to chat with my sister-in-law, she is now hooked and we are planning our next one.

And I got a t-shirt, we all know it's really about the shirt and the swag. Not about how we've deleted some naughty by getting off the couch and moving it.


Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment