Saturday, October 27, 2012

Deleting the naughty...with another 5k

I knew in order to keep up the 5k momentum, I needed to register for the next one as soon as possible after signing up for the first one. I signed up for the Fargo Mini Marathon 5k with a friend from church. She is as much a newbie as I am so it was perfect. I ran into at least 6 people I knew in the first 5 minutes at the packet pickup the night before; I was in good company. I brought my kids along to the expo and they had a little obstacle course set up on the main floor that they went through at least 2 to 3 times each. Nothing wrong with burning off a little of their endless energy!

Things were a little uncertain all week. I was on the verge of backing out of my second 5k. It is definitely fall and had been raining for the last two days, and high wind warnings for the previous 24 hours. Being out in the open on the high plains with this kind of weather was not my idea of a good time. But, the rain cleared out during the early morning hours and I heard a rumor the sun was going to shine. So, I crawled out of bed at 6:30 on a Saturday morning to brave the 40 degree temperature.

The wind was calm, the sky was overcast and it was chilly. You would think growing up in Minnesota would mean you get used to the cold, but you don't. You just get through it. The race was delayed slightly for still arriving participants. The traffic was horrible, there was no traffic control on that entrance and people were all seeming to be running as behind as me, which was 45 minutes early. Learned my lesson on that one. Fortunately, my husband drove me and we picked a corner and I just jumped out of the truck and ran to the line to get there in time. I found my friend and we headed toward the back of the start line since we were going to be mostly walking.

Unfortunately, there isn't really much else to say about this one. The scenery was just wide open empty space. It was in a new developing part of town so it was mostly construction zones, new housing development and plowed over former fields and no trees. They had one 3-piece band around the half way point of the 5k and couple people cheering on various corners. It wasn't very entertaining.

On a positive note, I had great company and  a day out doing something fun for my health is what matters.

Swag Rating: Decent
We got a really soft and nice gray crewneck t-shirt with a cool logo. The 10k and half got a long sleeve shirt and an Adidas bag.  All finishers got medals.

Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment