Friday, October 19, 2012

Deleting the naughty...at 40

I turned 40. I didn't know what to expect. Like the old cliche, would I feel different? Would I suddenly feel 40? It started off with a bang by falling on a Monday. Really?  My big day had to be a Monday?

I crawled out of bed at 6:30 to start my 7 a.m. work day and headed into the bathroom.  I didn't feel right and my back was hurting and then I realized*...I got my period.  Oh shit.  Really? My big day had to be a Monday AND I got my period?

Then, my husband announced he didn't have to go work that day. Being it was a holiday and all.  Columbus Day. I didn't plan ahead and take the day off with him because I didnt' know it was a vacation day for him. Really? My big day had to be a Monday AND I got my period AND my husband gets the day off?

So, we all know what that meant.  I wouldn't get a single birthday card in the mail, no delivery on a holiday. Really? My big day had to be a Monday AND I got my period AND my husband gets the day off AND no mail?

I booted up my computer, started working, got Monkey off to school and sipped my coffee. Peanut came downstairs all sleepy and mussed and hugged me.  She looked at me and whispered, "Mommy? Is today your birthday? Happy birthday!"  That was the beginning of a turn of events. It truly made my day and negative Nelly took a long walk.

The rest of the day was filled with lovely facebook birthday wishes.  What would people do without facebook on their birthday? I typically don't like surprises, so my husband didn't plan some big party. My brother and his wife joined us for dinner out without the kids at a local favorite, shared a bottle of wine and called it a day by 9 p.m.  It was all lovely.

We got home and got the kids tucked into bed. I gave Monkey a huge hug and said thank you for making my birthday extra special by being a part of it.  His eyes smiled and he grabbed me tight, "Love you so much Mom."  Love you too. I went upstairs and did the same with Peanut, she also hugged me tight and replied "I love you too, Mommy.  Are you 40?"

Simple. Who needs all the chaos and frustrations of trying to do it big all the time, when simple can accomplish so much more.

*Ok, if you don't like to hear about bathroom/lady things this blog isn't for you. I will tell my story how I see fit.


Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment