Saturday, November 24, 2012

Deleting the naughty...with Birchbox November

The long awaited Birchbox has arrived! I am anxious to see what's inside, since reviews of Birchbox as a whole have been a mixed bag. They do things a bit differently than other sub boxes in that they have you fill out a beauty profile as to what kind of a makeup person you are, and then I guess they send out some 30 different boxes with different products in them to match your profile.

Price: $10/month and free shipping.

This month's box was about giving. Inside was a special box envelope that you fill with a little gift. There were options printed on the side you could check, Because and P.S. and there were cute sayings on it.

Here are the products I received in my very first box:

SoyJoy Snack Pack:
This is a baked whole soy and fruit bar in Cranberry. Advertised as moist and fruity, the bar is made with whole soy, real fruit, gluten free with 0g trans fats. The bar is ok. I wouldn't say it was all that moist, it seemed dry to me. The flavor was good, but I don't foresee myself going out and buying them voluntarily. 

Archipelago Pomegranate Body Soap:
This was a 1.8 oz sample size bar of a gentle triple-milled soap with white tea, cranberry and chamomile extracts and pomegranate to act as antioxidants. Pomegranate is said to repair cell damage and encourage collagen production. I like the scent, it is not fruity like you'd think, but soft and a bit floral, the white tea and chamomile stand out. Very gentle and rinses off nicely. I am old fashioned and I love to use the exotic bar soaps.



Model Co Fibre LashXtend Mascara:
This is the second Model Co product I received this month, getting the lip gloss in the Beauty Box 5 November box. This is another mascara on the market that creates the illusion of longer eyelashes with the tiny fibers mixed into the mascara. I received Extreme Black. I don't normally wear heavy mascara, but as I've gotten older my eyes need a little pick-me-up. I didn't think I would want to  use this as my everyday mascara, but I actually really like it. It didn't get all clumpy, went on smooth and provided enough length to still look natural for me with one coat. The black gave a nice line to my eyes that made them pop. Bonus? This also had a mirror on the side of the tube, just like the lip gloss. Another regular addition to my purse!

Mox Botanicals Lip Butter:
This little lip butter pot was in pomegranate and fig. Made in Portland, OR, this product contains avocado oil and shea butter. It smells really good, light and fruity, but has no flavor to it. Just natural. You can never have enough lip stuff, especially with the cold weather working its way in.

Lulu Organics Hair Powder:
I have never used a dry hair powder before. You take a dime sized amount and work it through the roots of your hair, then brush it through. This is supposed to lift day old hair and revive it. I got the scent lavender and clary sage. It smells really nice. I don't know if this product would work for me though. I have naturally curly hair, and if you know anything about curls, you can't really comb through that kind of hair. It turns to frizz and you look like a lion. But, for a quick oil absorber, then pop hair into a bun or pony, it would work well.

Verdict: I saw reviews of some of the other boxes that people got and I was happy with most of my products. But I will be honest, I was a little jealous and very disappointed that I didn't receive the Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray, as that seems more of a fit for curly hair than dry powder, seriously...so I don't know that they actually read the profiles and match you with the products that fit you. So all in all, I will use 3 out of the 5 products. I didn't receive 6 like some. Come on BB, send me some Blandi!!

Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment