Sunday, November 25, 2012

Deleting the naughty...with some thankfulness

I am a day late and a dollar short on the whole "What am I thankful for?" blog. I really wanted to have something insightful and witty to publish on Thanksgiving but I just couldn't find it in me. Not that I'm not thankful, because I am. But because I just lost track of it this year, and because I try to say a little prayer of thanks every day, to remind me how blessed I am that I have two healthy children, family near me, a job, a warm home and most of all, that I was raised to be Christian and have a foundation I believe in.

I have been preparing myself mentally for a few weeks for major changes in my life. I have been impatiently waiting for my stitched up toes to heal and it hurts. I have been battling fatigue with kids who have been coughing. I've just plain had a lot on my mind. But I wasn't inspired to talk about thanks until today.

We did a little Christmas shopping.

I knew it was going to be tough. There were odds and ends that had to be taken care of first, like a new winter coat for Monkey as his broke, we needed a Christmas dress for Peanut, and I had a return from my birthday. But lastly, we had done little to no gift shopping. I am running out of time and help to get it all done so I forced myself to go to the mall...kids, husband, sore foot and all. Ugh.

I am so thankful for my husband today. I forget all to easily how much he really does for us and how much he loves us when I let little pet peeves distract me. It's been a tough couple weeks. I really knew deep down this wouldn't go well, but he took it and ran. We got the coat done, I grabbed a couple Mrs. Field's cookies for the kids, and he took them to the mall playland so that I could hobble myself down the halls alone and as slowly as I needed to. FOR OVER 2 HOURS. He didn't complain once. He didn't act impatient or bored. I even got myself a latte. Then, when I had to make one more stop, he went and sat on a couch with the kids and looked at fish swimming in a small tank. This may not seem like much. But right now, this day, it meant a lot.

I am thankful. I don't show it often enough. I have a husband who is a stand-up guy, a loyal best friend and a real dad. I often wondered why God was taking so long in helping me find a husband. I really believed I was just not meant for a life in marriage. But, God did have a plan, he had a lot of lessons for me to learn (and I do continue to learn) before I could really appreciate the kind of man he was sending my way.

I need to renew my spirit and renew my faith in my marriage today. I am thankful.


Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment