Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Deleting the naughty...with the Love With Food November Box

Exciting day today...got my first Love With Food subscription box. I like to try new foods but what I love about this subscription is that for every box you purchase a meal is donated to the hungry. And since this was the November box, a time of Thanksgiving, Love With Food is donating two meals instead of one. I am fortunate that I have food to eat, and can afford to try out these sub boxes, and I'm glad that in supporting someone else's business, they in turn do something good. It's a food box that is mighty in kindness, low in price!

Price: $10/month plus $2 shipping
There are 4 plans, I signed up for the year, which was $120, free shipping.

The November box was a special Thanksgiving edition curated by Amy Roloff, of the TLC show Little People, Big World. The items in the box are her fall favorites.

Chocolate Chunk Cookie from Skeeter Snacks:
This package came with two cookies, chocolate chunk flavor. Skeeter Snacks are nut-free and 10 grams of fat. I am typically not a fan of pre-packaged cookies, they have a "taste" I just can't get into, and I prefer homemade. So, I took a bite. At first, I was not impressed, but once I started chewing, it kind of dissolved into an almost buttery flavor, and it left a pleasant aftertaste, and a little bit salty.  Not bad.

Fruit.0 in Mango Pear Pineapple:
These are little pouches of absolute goodness. 4.2 oz of pure, organic fruit, and the package guarantees there is nothing else. Kind of a fruit to go snack. No fat, no cholesterol and full of vitamins. 80% RDA of vitamin C as a matter of fact. If you are a mom, do you remember the smell and taste of the Hawaiian Delight baby food in the jar? That's what this reminds me of. It tastes like Hawaiian Delight. I am throwing it in the fridge because I think it would taste better cold. It can be refrigerated after opening for up to 24 hours. The ingredients are organic mango, pear, pineapple juice concentrate and lemon juice. Not bad, I know my kids would LOVE it.

Mini Crunch from Mrs. May's:
My flavor was cranberry almond. These are 100% natural and gluten, cholesterol, dairy and wheat free.The .7 oz portion  seemed kind of small, considering one full size serving is 26 pieces, but the first initial pieces I had were plenty for a quick little snack. I probably couldn't eat 26 pieces in one sitting.  It was a little too nutty for me, and I would have preferred more cranberry, but they were ok.

Inka Corn from Inka Crops:
These are not your average corn nuts. These kernels are huge. I am talking an inch in size. And they are yummy. I wasn't sure what to expect, thinking biting into one would cause me to lose a tooth, but they were fairly crunchy...pillowy sort of. And they had the perfect amount of salt in my opinion. They tasted like Frito's corn chips. My six year old loved them. He wanted to try one and immediately asked for more! The husband tried to hide them, as he is my cupboard squirrel and loves all things crunchy and grainy.


Truffle Piglet from Hagensborg Chocolates:
The highlighted item from Love With Food was this cute little oinker. An original all natural milk chocolate truffle shaped like a pig. And a delicious pig it was. It did not taste like bacon, but was rich, smooth and creamy.

Turkey Bak Kwa Jerky from Little Red Dot Kitchen:
The package of this all natural turkey jerky was BBQ flavored. The description on the package says it is savory sweet, tender and smoky with a little spice.I didn't really get any spice, but it was tender and sweet and like it came off a grill. I wasn't sure on the first taste, but it grew on me. It's different.

Pumpkin Spice Tea, Stash Tea Company:
Decaf! I like to sit and have a cup of hot tea sometimes before bed, especially now that there is snow on the ground, and I was happy to try something other than chamomile. Flavors highlighted on the package were nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, natural pumpkin spice flavor and clove. While it had all these ingredients, the taste was mild and smooth. Sometimes when tea has cinnamon and clove, heavy spices, they overpower the tea and then that's all you taste. Not the case with the pumpkin spice. Very nice.

Aspen Mulling Co. Original Mulling Spices Blend:
This is a single serving size packet of hot cider spices that you add to 8 oz of apple cider or juice, red wine, tea or brandy and can be served hot or cold. I have a special recipe that I throw together for my own cider, (which I will share on this blog over the Christmas holiday) so I have never used a pre-packaged mix. I will update in a few weeks-I will set aside some cider to do a side by side taste test!

So, all in all, it was a nice little box. The only drawback? Wish there were a couple of teas, and at least one more little piggy...


Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment