Thursday, January 3, 2013

Deleting the naughty...with Goodies Co. December

Finally! December's Goodies Co. box arrived. So far, I am really enjoying what Walmart Labs has to offer. While I have seen many of the products that have come in two months already at the store, I don't always try them, so this has been fun.

Again, this box is $7/month and so far has been the best value for a food box out there. I think I like this box better than Love With Food, though I much more appreciate what LWF stands for by donating a meal per box purchased.

This month's theme is Naughty or Nice? It was made up of six samples; three of healthy choices and three of naughty indulgences. It's focus was trying to be healthy but allowing ourselves to let loose and indulge once in a while.

On to the contents:

Barefruit Cinnamon Apple Chips
Nice: I will admit, I wasn't too sure about these, but ended up pleasantly surprised. 100% natural, the only ingredients listed on the bag were apples and cinnamon. That's it! No added sugar or preservatives and fat, cholesterol and gluten free. And, the serving size guarantees one whole apple per bag. The chips are really, really good, and have a great crunch to them, still have the peeling on the slices and are super sweet. I would definitely buy these and am willing to try other chip flavors if they came out with them...can you imagine peach chips or pineapple chips?  Yum!

Effie's Homemade Oatcakes:
Naughty: Very naughty. These small little cakes, all buttery, crispy and flaky at the same time contained 9 grams of fat, lots of cholesterol and sugars. But, oh my...so amazingly delicious. They tasted like my mom's homemade Christmas cookies. I don't think I will ever enjoy some plain old oatmeal health bar ever again. I am going to chalk these up at sort of healthy...I mean...they contain wheat flour and rolled oats, right?

EatSmart by Snyder's of Hanover Naturals Garden Veggie Chips:
Nice: A single serving bag was packed full of a trio of chips made from potato, tomato and spinach. I liked this snack, it was satisfying when I got that craving for something salty...but I wish they were just a little saltier. I can get away with a little more sodium - no blood pressure problems here - so that would have put them higher on my list. I have bought these before, but it was veggies straws and my kids ate them up.

Rocky Mountain Popcorn in Cinnamon Sugar:
Nice: Natural air-popped popcorn dusted with real ingredients: cinnamon sugar and popcorn. Cotaining 10 grams of whole grains per serving this products pacts a whopping 10 grams of fat, but is still a better choice than a bag of microwaved movie theater butter popcorn. The popcorn itself was fluffy...slightly stale, but not much, because it was still melt in your mouth fresh. There was plenty of the dusting of the cinnamon sugar, and was really tasty. They reminded me of those county fair cinnamon sugar mini donuts, so if you are looking for something really naughty like those, this would actually be a good substitute to curb that craving.

World Table Chocolate Mint Cookie Thins:
Naughty: I have tried the lemon thins by this brand before, and loved them, so I was looking forward to trying these. I received a full size package, containing two packets of 14 cookies. Peanut said they were "Yummy!" I concur. The buttery, crispy cookie meshed perfectly with the layer of not too sweet chocolate mint on the bottom of the cookie. These were really quite delicious. All I need now is a hot cup of coffee to enjoy them with.

Sun Cups Sunflower Butter Milk Chocolate:
Naughty: Basically, a nut free take on the classic peanut butter cup. Personally, this was my least favorite product in the box.  I gave it a try, but sunflower butter is not my favorite flavor. So, with that said, I will comment on the positives: smooth - no graininess of real peanut butter cups; and the chocolate was really good. Sunflower butter just has a weird aftertaste to me, like something that got old and stale. But, if you have peanut allergies, you can still enjoy a spin on those delectable Reese's :)

Sun Cups Dark Chocolate Mint Cup:
Naughty: I ended up with one extra product, a mint cup. Even though I didn't like the sunflower cup, I was still game for the mint one. I am not sure what this one was filled with. I know it was peppermint, but it wasn't white and it was grainy, but I am guessing it was made with sunflower butter and peppermint flavoring. It tasted good, though. Not as yummy as a classic York Peppermint Patty, but still enjoyable. I give these a B+.  Since I received the extra naughty product, I must have been nice this year!

FUN Holiday box!!


Follow Deleting the Naughty on facebook.






No comments:

Post a Comment